Migrating Customers to Vimeo OTT
I have subscribers on my existing channel, will they have to re-subscribe on my new Vimeo OTT channel?
No! Vimeo OTT is able to help you seamlessly migrate your customers from your old channel to your new one. We will work with you to coordinate securely copying payment information from your current payment processor to ours (Stripe), as well as to set up subscriptions. The end result is a frictionless experience for your customers.
Since this process can sometimes take a bit of time, we are able to grant your subscribers access to your new Vimeo OTT channel at any point before or during the migration and they will be treated as free subscribers until their information is in our system and we are able to start charging them. Please let your Technical Program Manager know if you’d like to do this at any point.
What about my current subscription offerings? Will my existing subscribers be affected?
At this time, the Vimeo OTT platform is only able to offer a monthly and/or annual subscription offering. This means that your existing subscribers will need to be placed into one of these offerings.
When a customer migration is performed, you have the choice of identifying which subscription plan a user will be migrated into (monthly / annual) and the subscription amount they’ll be billed against at a regularly scheduled monthly or annual interval.
Does Vimeo OTT accept PayPal as a payment method for my subscribers? How will this affect them?
Unfortunately, Stripe does not leverage PayPal as a viable payment method. This means that we will be unable to take PayPal as a primary payment method within Vimeo OTT.
When we perform a customer migration, there is a possibility that some of your existing subscribers will be able to be migrated into Stripe. This means that, if successful, their payments will not be handled within PayPal anymore and instead be processed through Stripe.
PayPal is able to port over transaction information for customers who have paid with a ‘direct credit card’. If their payment was funded by a PayPal account, this information cannot be passed through to Stripe. PayPal can only deliver credit card information from direct credit card payments only. If there is a mixture of payments coming from both potential scenarios, PayPal can only pass the one subset of information.
For customers currently paying through PayPal, Vimeo can give these users access to your site through their next billing date. At that time their access will expire and they will be prompted to enter a credit card to maintain access to their subscription.
Now, let’s jump into how this all happens:
1a. I already use Stripe as my payment processor, how do we kick off the migration?
Since you have an existing Stripe account with your customer’s subscription information, the process is pretty simple.
- You should reach out to Stripe support asking them to initiate the transfer of customer information from your existing account into the Vimeo Stripe account.
- Let us know once this has been done and we will approve the process on our end as well.
- Keep a look out for a message from Stripe about which Stripe IDs you would like copied over into our account.
1b. What if I don’t have a Stripe account and use a different payment provider?
No problem! As long as your previous payment provider is able to work with Stripe we will likely be able to migrate your subscribers over. We have had successful customer migrations with the following payment providers below. If you don’t see yours listed, don’t worry! Stripe may require additional information from you to ensure a smooth migration:
Here’s what we will have you do:
- Reach out to your previous payment provider and ask about migrating the data from them to Stripe. We need you to confirm with your previous payment provider that they can provide Stripe proof of their PCI compliance and encrypt sensitive data using Stripe’s PGP key.
- Then, you and your provider will need to reach out to Stripe support to request a transfer of customer information into the Vimeo Stripe destination account.
- If your previous payment provider and Stripe are able to work together, Stripe will request an encrypted file with the following information about each customer you will be migrating and where to send it:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Credit Card Number
- Credit Card Expiration
- Credit Card CVV
- Credit Card Country
- Credit Card Post Code
- NOTE:This file is not sent to Vimeo in any capacity.
- Once this has been done, send us an email so that we can confirm receipt from Stripe.
- After Stripe has done what they do on their end, they will send us both a file that has the New Stripe Customer IDs for your old customers. You will need that for the next part of the process.
2. Now that Stripe has all the necessary payment information, what’s next?
Now we will get your subscribers information into Vimeo OTT so that they can log in and are charged when they should be. Here’s what we need you to do.
- Add all of the subscribers you want to migrate over to your Vimeo OTT account to a CSV file with the following information:
- Name (Optional)
- New Stripe Customer ID
- Frequency (Monthly or Yearly)
- Pricing Amount (in USD cents, i.e. $4.99 is 499)
- Next Billing Date (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Cancel Date (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Send that file to your Technical Program Manager at email@example.com.
Vimeo OTT will get that information uploaded onto your site and send you a message when we are done.
3. Anything else I need to do?
Yes, one last thing. In order to ensure that your subscribers will not be charged twice, we will coordinate with you to turn on subscriptions through our platform when you and your old provider are ready to shut off charges on their end. You might also want to consider setting up a redirect so that people looking for your site land on your current one.
That’s it! Congratulations, your subscribers are ready to enjoy your awesome new Vimeo OTT channel.